Intelligent Traffic Management System (ITMS)
Safe City Systems (SCS/ITMS) turns any traffic monitoring camera into an intelligent sensor. Specifically built for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), our monitors digitally encoded video streams of traffic cameras on highways to immediately detect incidents and continuously collect real-time traffic data. Using existing camera infrastructure, SCS/ITMS helps traffic managers make proactive decisions based on immediate incident alerts that are visually verifiable, providing more information about what is happening on highways, bridges and tunnels.
SCS/ITMS helps organizations get more use out of their ITS investment, leveraging both existing and new video assets. By providing the information needed to reduce the impact of incidents and recurring congestion on highways, SCS/ITMS helps traffic managers provide safer and more efficient travel for the public. SCS/ITMS immediately detects a traffic incident and sends notification to a Traffic Management Center.
SCS/ITMS is designed to automate highway traffic monitoring for Departments of Transportation and Traffic Management Centers. Adding SCS/ITMS software analytics to your existing traffic management program offers significant benefits:
- Improves incident detection and response times
- Turns your existing cameras into highway sensors that notify you of incidents while collecting data 24/7
- Improves efficiency of manual processes by operations staff
- Deploys latest features and improvements immediately, with no need to deal directly with cameras
- Provides traffic industry-specific analytics, as compared to security-industry algorithms not designed for changing light conditions and constant panning, tilting, and zooming
Special Events and Other Applications
SCS/ITMS works in standard traffic monitoring situations. It is also valuable in special cases, including:
- Monitoring for incidents or collecting data during special events
- Construction zones
- Problem areas requiring quantified data points such as wrong way drivers, stopped vehicles, volume increases/decreases, or frequent slow downs
Cameras can collect traffic data for temporary or permanent locations, using existing cameras, or mounting new ones. Contact us about your use case, and we will advise the best deployment based on your needs and available resources. SCS/ITMS analytics can automatically classify vehicles for detailed volume assessment.
SCS/ITMS was built for easy installation and integration, with no need to retro-fit or replace existing cameras. If existing cameras use a standard digital encoding, their video feeds can be analyzed over the network. Alerts and data generated by the software are presented directly to operations staff in the SCS/ITMS User Interface or through an ATMS. SCS/ITMS software can operate on numerous hardware platforms to best fit organizational needs: rack mounted appliances, hardened equipment in the field, or virtual machines.
SCS/ITMS’s browser-based application permits anyone designated by traffic managers to access and configure analytics from anywhere with network access. There is no need to load extra software or clients onto work stations.
Customize Incident Alerts
SCS/ITMS’s highly customizable alert functionality allows traffic managers to decide what qualifies as a significant incident for each camera. They can create custom rules so that just the events they specify as important will trigger alerts. They can set the sensitivity of different thresholds for each individual camera by the day of the week and different times of day. Traffic managers can also adjust the sensitivity and notification of the following alerts:
- Wrong-way vehicle
- Stopped vehicle/debris in roadway is stationary for more than the specified threshold
- Vehicle congestion if lane occupancy exceeds the specified percentage
- Pedestrian in road
- Slow speeds if below the specified threshold for specified duration of seconds